Framed engraving of Christopher PINCHBECK Date circa 1750Engraved by John Faber from the original portrait by Isaac Whood; with Pinchbeck shown holding an open verge watch of the period.A copy by the same artist is in The National Portrait Gallery; ref. NPG D3884, as follows:Christopher Pinchbeck by John Faber Jr, after Isaac WhoodMezzotint, circa 1725-175012⅞ in. x 8⅞ in. (326 mm x 226 mm) plate size; 14⅜ in. x 10½ in. (364 mm x 267 mm) paper sizeGiven by Henry Witte Martin, 1861Reference Collection: NPG D3884Frame size: 47cms x 36cms: Print size: 32.5cms x 22.5cmsPlease click on images to enlarge: Any additional images are shown below
John Faber Jnr was born in The Hague in 1684, the son of the artist John Faber Snr, from whom he learned the art of mezzotint and drawing following their move to London, where he was enrolled at the St. Martin's Lane Academy founded by Louis Cheron and John Vanderbank. A prolific portraitist, Faber became a well-respected engraver of portraits. Sir Godfrey Kneller and Peter Lely had him make prints after their works. He is best remembered for his forty-seven plates of members of the Kit-Cat Club after Kneller and a series of twelve portraits entitled Beauties of Hampton Court. In later life Faber resided at the Golden Head in Bloomsbury Square, London, where he died of complications from gout on the 2nd May 1756. Reference: The National Portrait GalleryDictionary of the National Biography
Isaac Whood (1688-1752) Portrait painter
Isaac Whood is recorded as a portrait painter working in Lincoln`s Inn Fields, London. His patron was the 4th Duke of Bedford, John Russell, who resided at Woburn Abbey, and as such a fair number of Whood’s portraits of both the Spencer and Russell families hang there.At Cambridge there are portraits by Whood at both Trinity Hall and Trinity College, including one of Isaac Barrow. At Lambeth Palace hangs a portrait of Archbishop William Wake by Whood, painted in 1736.